Creating a blog post is a great way to share your knowledge to audiences all over the world. They are looking for your content – it’s up to you to make it available! Successful posts have a few elements in common. The checklist below will guide you in writing a post that is impactful, reader friendly, and SEO friendly.
Before You Write
– Determine your topic. While the topic may develop over time, having a direction before you start helps guide your writing and content.
– Know your target audience. Knowing who you’re writing to (i.e. students, worship pastors,
youth leaders) helps keep your topic on course and can influence your writing style.
– Do your research. People love to know the facts. Include some interesting stats on your
topic. Be sure to include the reference to your sources. The reference can also be a good outgoing link from your post.
– Writers block? Here are a few ideas to help you out: use previous sermons and break them
up into 2-3 blog posts; interview church members; or highlight one of your church’s
While You’re Writing
– The minimum word count should be 300 words. This is the recommended count for Search
Engine Optimization. Posts with fewer than 300 words can sometimes be deemed as spam.
– Outlines are important. Headers and bullet points make scanning easier for your readers.
– Write like you talk. It’s ok for blogs to be a bit informal in writing. Readers want to see
your personality and what makes you unique.
After You’re Done
– If your blog has the capability, determine the title, keyword, and meta description.
Keywords are used for search engines to help users find your blog post. A good keyword is
used in the blog title, meta description, and at least 3% of the total word count (i.e. the
keyword should appear at least nine times in a 300 word post). The keyword should be relevant
to the topic! The meta description is a short two-three sentence overview OR excerpt of the blog
– Proof it. Read it a few times to yourself and have someone else proof it for readability and
possible errors. Any errors can cause you to lose credibility with your readers!
– Once it’s posted on the site, share the link to the blog post on your social media accounts. A
successful blog post is one that is MARKETED to your readers!
– Start thinking about your next post. Search engines love active, fresh blogs.
What are some of the steps you would add or that you currently do for your blog?