The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives, working under the auspices of the Georgia. Baptist Historical Commission, serves as the guardians of over 275 years of Georgia Baptist history.
Vice President of Operations
State Missionary Support
Celebrate Our Baptist Heritage
The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives, working under the auspices of the Georgia Baptist Historical Commission, serves as the guardians of 275 years of Georgia Baptist history.
Its purpose is to celebrate our Baptist heritage by helping Georgia Baptist churches and associations to:
- PROMOTE an interest in and appreciation for the history of Georgia Baptists.
- PRESERVE the documents and artifacts that chronicle the unique heritage of Baptist work in Georgia.
- RECORD the distinct history of Georgia Baptists at the church, association, and state levels.
The Historical Archives is open to the public and is located in the Georgia Baptist Missions and Ministry Center in Duluth. Georgia Baptists throughout the state support the work of the Historical Archives through their donations to the Cooperative Program.
The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives, under the leadership of the Georgia Baptist Historical Commission, makes available a variety of services to individuals, churches, associations, and agencies. Among the services provided are:
- Training for church and associational historians in preserving and recording their history.
- Historical tours and educational programs for church groups.
- Research assistance for individuals, churches, associations, and agencies.
- Training for prospective writers of Georgia Baptist history.
- Safekeeping church and associational historical records in a state-of-the-art archival facility.
- Identifying and marking sites of historical significance to Georgia Baptists.
For more information on the services provided please contact the staff at the Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives.
The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives contains thousands of records related to the history of the people, churches, associations, and agencies of the Georgia Baptist Convention. Among the materials in the collection are:
- Civil War Letters
- Issues of The Christian Index
- Church and Associational Histories
- Baptismal Records
- Financial Reports
- Founding Documents
- Rare Books
These historical treasures are safeguarded in a state-of-the-art fireproof room and protected using the most current methods of archival preservation.
The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives is the official denominational depository for historical records related to Georgia Baptist Convention. Georgia Baptist historical records from individuals, churches, and associations are gladly received for safekeeping at our facility.
Georgia Baptists and scholars interested in Georgia Baptist history have access to the materials in the Historical Archive for research purposes. An appointment is strongly encouraged to insure that the desired records are available.
Whether sentimental, such as a beloved Camp Pinnacle jacket, or monumental, like a piece of the Berlin Wall, the collection of artifacts in the Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives chronicle the continuous ministry of Georgia Baptists through the ages, not just in this state, but all over the world.
The Georgia Baptist Mission Board Historical Archives houses a considerable collection of artifacts of historical significance to Georgia Baptists. Among the collection are items reflecting such ministries as our Georgia Baptist hospitals, partnerships with other states and countries, and the 75 Million Campaign.Gifts from Costa Rican Baptists.
Exhibits are located on the first and second floors of the Georgia Baptist Missions and Ministry Center and are open to the public. Multimedia presentation about Georgia Baptist history can be viewed in the lobby.