Public Affairs Ministry
Public Affairs Representative
Mike has been a Southern Baptist pastor for over 35 years. In 2019, Mike completed serving 22 years as the founder and senior pastor of Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga.
In January 2014, Mike accepted a position with the Georgia Baptist Mission Board as their Public Affairs Representative. In January 2020, he began working full-time for the GBMB. His duties include lobbying at the state Capitol and speaking on moral and religious liberty issues around the state.
Committee on Public Affairs
The Committee on Public Affairs, composing of fifteen members, is responsible to give voice on behalf of the Georgia Baptist Convention to its thought and position on public policy and social issues as approved in reports or resolutions by the Georgia Baptist Convention.
- Act in the field of Public affairs wherever the interest go Georgia Baptists requires conferences or negotiation with the government of the United States, the State of Georgia, or other government bodies or agencies, with particular attention to religious liberty and church-state matters.
- To give voice on behalf of the Georgia Baptist Convention to its thought and position on public issues as approved in reports or resolutions by the Georgia Baptist Convention. The Committee on Public Affairs shall also articulate the thinking of the Convention on subjects of public policy and social issues upon which the Convention has declared itself.
Committee on Public Affairs
Georgia Baptist Mission Board
6405 Sugarloaf Parkway, Duluth, GA 30097
Phone: 770-455-0404 / Toll Free: 800-746-4422
Sam Thomas and Mike Griffin discuss on the Frontline Policy Council’s Podcast the upcoming Dobbs decision and what it means for the pro-life movement in Georgia. Listen now: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1MDDjLSc5VyJ9DVU4L4fRh?si=LopzCM4TT3CMPftlBLjVjg
This training was delivered by Mike Griffin, Public Affairs and Child Protection Representative for the Georgia Baptist Mission Board for the 2020 Spark Conference. Feel free to share.
- Sports Betting Alert! Letter to Georgia Baptists (PDF)
- Stop Predatory Gambling in Georgia Brief (PDF)
- Fact Sheet for Georgia H-118 (PDF)
- Download Testimony Opposing SB 264 (PDF)
- Download Testimony before the House and Senate Study Committee (PDF)
- Why a Christian Should Not Gamble
- Facts About Sports Gambling (PDF)
- The Devastating Effects Online Gambling Has On Children (PDF)
- Gambling ABC’s
Same Sex Marriage
Georgia Baptist Convention Disagrees with SCOTUS Rulings in Obergefell v. Hodges
ERLC Partners with ADF in Creating Legal Resource for Churches Amidst Changing Marriage Culture
The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention has partnered with Alliance Defending Freedom to create a legal guide for churches, schools and nonprofit organizations to use for their organizational structure in light of changes in the culture concerning marriage.
Download Legal Guide (PDF)
“They understood the times and they knew what to do.” 1 Chronicles 12:32
Our Authority To Get Involved:
A Constitutional Authority
- The first three words of the Constitution: “We the People”
- The three most basic rights in our Country: Life, Liberty, Property Rights (Pursuit of Happiness)
- We are “Endowed by Our Creator”
A Biblical Authority
- The first three words of ‘God’s Constitution’ is “If My People” (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- Three God-given Institutions: The Church, The Home, The Government
- Two Basic, Primary Responsibilities of Government: Protect Innocent Life, Punish Evildoers (Romans 13)
Georgia Baptist Convention’s Role at the Capitol
Observation, Education, Motivation, Activation
Georgia Baptist Convention’s Role In the State of Georgia
Locate: Pastors, Churches, Citizens
Educate: Biblical Worldview, Current Events/Trends, How to Become Involved
Motivate: The Gospel! The Constitution! The Love of Our Family!
Ways To Get Involved:
Make Your Voice Count
Attend Events on Cultural Issues
How to Contact Your Representatives
- Office of the Governor
- Georgia House of Representitives Members List
- Georgia State Senate Members List
- Voter Registration Online
- Voter Guides (will post as they are available)
Become an Intern at the Capital
Sign-up for Public Affairs Alerts:
To Get Public Affairs & Urgent Legislation Updates, Text “alerts” to 678-324-3284.
If you’re reading this on your mobile, just tap the button below.
Or, Sign Up For Email Alerts:
Ethics and Public Affairs Reports
2021 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2021 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2020 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2020 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2019 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2019 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2017 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2017 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2016 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2016 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2015 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2015 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2014 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2014 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting