Public Affairs Ministry
The Committee on Public Affairs is responsible to give voice on behalf of the Georgia Baptist Convention to its thought and position on public policy and social issues as approved in reports or resolutions by the Georgia Baptist Convention.
Public Affairs Representative
Since January 2014, Mike Griffin has served as the Public Affairs Representative for the Georgia Baptist Convention. His duties include lobbying at the state Capitol and speaking on moral and religious liberty issues around the state.
Mike served as a Southern Baptist pastor in the state of Georgia for over 35 years. Some of his previous background includes:
- 2006 Republican candidate for Georgia State Representative, 29th District
- President of Ten Commandments – Georgia, Inc.
- Georgia Right to Life State Field Director
Committee on Public Affairs
The Committee on Public Affairs, composing of fifteen members, is responsible to give voice on behalf of the Georgia Baptist Convention to its thought and position on public policy and social issues as approved in reports or resolutions by the Georgia Baptist Convention.
- Act in the field of Public affairs wherever the interest go Georgia Baptists requires conferences or negotiation with the government of the United States, the State of Georgia, or other government bodies or agencies, with particular attention to religious liberty and church-state matters.
- To give voice on behalf of the Georgia Baptist Convention to its thought and position on public issues as approved in reports or resolutions by the Georgia Baptist Convention. The Committee on Public Affairs shall also articulate the thinking of the Convention on subjects of public policy and social issues upon which the Convention has declared itself.
Committee on Public Affairs
Georgia Baptist Mission Board
6405 Sugarloaf Parkway, Duluth, GA 30097
Phone: 770-455-0404 / Toll Free: 800-746-4422
As always, I want to thank you for your support of the Public Affairs Ministry this past year. We’ve had wins and losses. These wins and losses are a constant reminder that elections have consequences. This is true whether it is local, state, or national. It is the people that we put in office that […]
According to the Scriptures, God has given mankind the stewardship responsibility of ruling over all His creation. In Genesis 1:25, God says that mankind is to “rule over all the earth” (NASB). Therefore, being a steward over what God has put us in charge of is every person’s responsibility to some extent or another. In […]
Georgia Baptist Premier Events
Under the Dome 2020
Same Sex Marriage
Georgia Baptist Convention Disagrees with SCOTUS Rulings in Obergefell v. Hodges
ERLC Partners with ADF in Creating Legal Resource for Churches Amidst Changing Marriage Culture
The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention has partnered with Alliance Defending Freedom to create a legal guide for churches, schools and nonprofit organizations to use for their organizational structure in light of changes in the culture concerning marriage.
Download Legal Guide (PDF)
“They understood the times and they knew what to do.” 1 Chronicles 12:32
Our Authority To Get Involved:
A Constitutional Authority
- The first three words of the Constitution: “We the People”
- The three most basic rights in our Country: Life, Liberty, Property Rights (Pursuit of Happiness)
- We are “Endowed by Our Creator”
A Biblical Authority
- The first three words of ‘God’s Constitution’ is “If My People” (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- Three God-given Institutions: The Church, The Home, The Government
- Two Basic, Primary Responsibilities of Government: Protect Innocent Life, Punish Evildoers (Romans 13)
Georgia Baptist Convention’s Role at the Capitol
Observation, Education, Motivation, Activation
Georgia Baptist Convention’s Role In the State of Georgia
Locate: Pastors, Churches, Citizens
Educate: Biblical Worldview, Current Events/Trends, How to Become Involved
Motivate: The Gospel! The Constitution! The Love of Our Family!
Ways To Get Involved:
Make Your Voice Count
Attend Events on Cultural Issues
How to Contact Your Representatives
- Office of the Governor
- Georgia House of Representitives Members List
- Georgia State Senate Members List
- Voter Registration Online
- Voter Guides (will post as they are available)
Become an Intern at the Capital
Sign-up for Public Affairs Alerts:
Ethics and Public Affairs Reports
2019 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2019 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2017 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2017 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
Dangers of Marijuana Resources
Georgia Baptist Convention Position Statement on Marijuana
The Georgia Baptist Convention has not taken an official position for or against the use of medical marijuana for certain medical conditions. However, the Georgia Baptist Convention does oppose both the cultivation of marijuana and the legalization of recreational marijuana in the State of Georgia.
- Report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Health and Medicine Division – The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research (2017)
- Mike Griffin: Testimony before the Georgia Commission on Medical Cannabis
- Christian Index Article: The Trajectory of Marijuana Is Tracking Lust Like Alcohol – Downward
- Christian Index Article: Incremental steps toward recreational marijuana
- ERLC Article: The Church must respond to marijuana’s destructive march
- Pew Research Center Article: 6 facts about marijuana
2016 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2016 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting
2015 Georgia Baptist Convention Resolutions
Approved at the 2015 Georgia Baptist Convention Annual Meeting